How to come back better than before.
The COVID-19 pandemic is probably the worst national disaster most of us have lived through. But as with all moments of darkness, there is opportunity. Opportunity to go deeper, to get better at what we do, and to grow closer to those we care about and care for (without actually getting close!).
The lockdown will eventually pass, and your clients and students will come back. How can you use this time to be ready for them?
Improve your space
Fix those little things in your office or school that you've been too busy to deal with. Even minor improvements can make your space more welcoming, peaceful, and conducive to healing or learning.
- Do a deep clean
- Apply a fresh coat of paint
- Put up new curtains, pillows, or artwork
- Replenish supplies
- Buy local when possible, and sanitize your deliveries
Immerse yourself in continuing education
This is the perfect opportunity to "sharpen your axe" with training.
- Massage Business Blueprint offers some great content for free
- Many professional organizations provide continuing education courses (ABMP, AMTA, AFMTE, Massage Magazine)
- Many workshop providers like Anatomy Trains have online webinars available
- Free online courses on general subjects (Khan Academy, Coursera, Harvard, Stanford)
Catch up on some educational blogs
- The Thinking Practitioner
- Academy of Clinical Massage
- Laura Allen (great post on COVID and financial options)
- Better Movement
- Body in Mind
- The Massage Therapist Development Center
- RMT Education Project
Elevate your marketing game
This is often an aspect of our practice that doesn't get the attention it should. Learn new tools and strategies for connecting to your audiences.
- Try a course on branding or online marketing from your local library. Many offer online courses for free.
- Much of Massage Business Blueprint's content is on marketing
- Sohnen-Moe has a discounted practice startup kit.
- Hire a professional to help with your website or social media and keep the money flowing.
If there's any silver lining to this debacle, it may be people reconnecting with their loved ones and communities and having new appreciation for those connections. That goes for your clients, too.
- Communicate through email, social media, or even good old phone calls.
- Offer tips for self-massage and self-care.
- Stay in your community's minds and hearts. They are going to need you when this is all over!
Be of service
Most likely, you're in this profession because service is important to you. You can keep that flame lit by finding ways to help.
- Shop for those who can't.
- Make face masks for medical workers.
- Volunteer with national and international nonprofits (Red Cross, Points of Light, Book Share)
- Reach out to your favorite charities and ask how you can help.
Take self-care to the next level
There are numerous online classes you can jump on, or just revisit your own library of DVDs and books.
- Spiritual reading
- Connecting virtually with loved ones
- Get outside if possible
- Take online exercise classes
- Try new, healthy recipes with foods you might not always buy
Explore Hands Heal EHR or other tools
- Sign up for a free 21-day trial of Hands Heal EHR and explore its powerful, easy to use features.
- If you're already a subscriber, check out the tutorials to learn about features you may not have had time to explore.
I promise you, we'll get through this. And with the right attitude, we may just come out better than ever!